Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Successful Journey

Yesterday I decided to take Gracie for a little journey. We packed up everything she may need and ventured into the big world to go to Babies 'R' Us. She cried the whole way there. Once we got there, I took her to the "Mother's Room" and fed her, hoping that would calm her. It didn't. I had to hold her the whole time I shopped. It was fine, except then everyone feels the need to come admire the baby-fun at first, but really prolongs the trip! While I was there, I grabbed the March issue of American Baby, which they give out for free. We wandered for a while, and then headed home- she only cried half the way home.
That evening, as I was feeding Grace, I paged through the magazine, and found an article on calming your baby. One of the things it suggested was to create white noise. I mentioned it to Brian, and he said "no wonder the bathroom fan put her to sleep so fast last night." He had sent me to bed and taken over baby bed time the night before. Hum. . . So later, when she got fussy we tried the usual techniques-baby backpack, bouncy chair, shhhing then we put on the baseball game. It's official, she's already hooked on baseball! She was entranced with the game for a good 45 minutes before the crying resumed. Suddenly I remembered the article. I took her into her room, turned off the lights, and turned on the fan. We started rocking, and she was out like a light in about 2.2 seconds! YES! Victory! I don't know why I didn't think of that on my own-Brian needs a fan to sleep, and she is a daddy's girl. I guess sometimes you just need to see/hear it from someone else before it makes sense. Here's hoping it will keep working.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Just stopping by to say that you have a beautiful baby girl! Congratulations!